Friday, March 13, 2009

DRJ #3: Hamlet Act 3

It’s incredibly difficult to say whether or not any of the characters in this act are reminiscent of the individuals I’ve met/experienced in my lifetime. At this point in Hamlet, the characters are starting to become a little more rounded, and there motives become even more transparent. Claudius goes from being a cold-blooded killer, liar and sneak to a remorseful, upset king who wishes he could confess his crimes.
Claudius has become a very interesting personality through this play, his actions, at first seem unforgivable. But as we learn through Act 3, he’s become compunctious after murdering Hamlet’s father and wishes he could affirm his guilt but understands it might ruin his image. Claudius is Hamlet’s protagonist, but he’s also not your typical villain. He has too much heart, and feels far too poorly about what he’s done to be the full-fledged protagonist.

Irony seems to be one of the prominent themes through Hamlet, and especially in Act 3. When Claudius and Polonius believe that presenting Hamlet with a free opportunity to confess his love for Ophelia , they believe to hear what they’ve been suspecting all along. Not only does Hamlet not fall for there trap, he tells Ophelia that he, in fact, never did love her and never will. Calling her a whore, and telling her to go back to her “convent.”

Have you ever written a play of your own like Hamlet? Maybe taken experiences from your own life and paraded them in front of your friends or family. It seems writing and reading comes more naturally to some than it does others, so if you want to share your stories with the rest of the class, please do!

4 comments:

  1. While I have never written a play, I do feel as though writing comes naturally to me. I love reading and perhaps that is where I have picked it up. I actually have tried writing my own book, but with schoolwork and other busy activities, I have been forced to push it aside for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that writing could be a talent or a learned skill. While some people posses it naturally others have to work hard in order to compose any type of written work. Didn't Hamlet use an old existing play but altered parts of it to work for his purpose of seeing the king's reaction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have much trouble with creative writing (essays, yes; creative writing, no), but I feel it is a learned skill. I've never done any stories about my family or friends, because I'm not very good when it comes to subtlety. That is, they would all get angry for the completely obvious paradies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never written a play but in just about every play I've ever read I can identify characters that are so like folks that I know or have known. Even some events are parallel to life experiences.

    ReplyDelete