Of all the Hamlet characters, unusually I find myself relating to Hamlet more than any of the other of the other characters I’ve come across in Act 1 and 2. Hamlet can be bitter, cynical, full of hatred and at times, melancholy. His character constantly contradicts himself. He seems to admire the sudden outburst of anger and passion of Fortinbras, but is nothing like that himself. Hamlet is thoughtful, reflective and philosophical, he likes to speak in metaphors and can be very devious in his behavior. I want to be clear that I do not have any wish to be violent towards others, but I understand his passions and outlook more clearly than I do some of the other characters in the play.
It seems to a primary theme all throughout Act 2 is dissimulation. Claudius begins with this thorough investigation into Hamlet’s life by summoning his two best friends to spy on him. But Hamlet is too clever for Claudius, and catches on to the King’s plan, “Were you not sent for? Is it your own inclining? Is it a free visitation? Come, come, deal justly with me. Come, come. Nay, speak.” But Hamlet has a plan of his own, he’s decided to put on his own play, a clever device in hopes of exacting revenge and exercising his own suspicions about the King.
Hamlet seems to be very respectful, at least in external monologues. But in thought, he seems far more deranged than he appears to be on the outside. My question is this, have any of you ever wished you had the courage to speak your mind, but instead were respectful of the people you were either interacting with or the people around you? In doing so, declined yourself from giving the answer you wished you could’ve given, be it rude, mean, etc. If so, go ahead and share.
Yes there are often many times I wish I could say exactly what I was thinking, but fail to do so because it would most likely not be appreciated by whomever it is I am talking to or thinking about. Often times when people say something that offends me or is distasteful, I often wish I had the courage to say more than I do.
ReplyDeleteYes I have faced this issue many times and can never bring myself to tell how I really feel. I think that words can be very hurtfull and no matter how much you apoligize for what was said it will never be forgotten. So for the most part I bite my tongue and keep my true thoughts to myself.
ReplyDeleteI think that almost everyone has had this happen to them. There are very few people that can speak their mind. It takes two things to happen, first is authority, and second knowing that you are absolutely right. Otherwise we pick and choose when to speak up and when to bite our tongs. If we were to speak freely all the time social conduct would be greatly lowered.
ReplyDeleteAll the time. If I were to speak my mind to the fellow employees at my work, they'd probably all hate me by now. That, or they would have bludgeoned me to death. Unfortunately, I try to be polite. And you say that Hamlet is respectful in all his external monologues, which is true, he still appears to speak his mind to Polonius, which leads to some of my favorite dialogues in the story.
ReplyDelete