Friday, January 30, 2009

SSRJ #2: Soldier’s Home by Ernest Hemingway

Of the three stories I read this week, I particularly enjoyed “Soldier’s Home” by Ernest Hemingway. I’ve always found Hemingway’s writings to be especially interesting, and this short story was obviously no exception to my rule. The story of the man named Krebs, and his arrival home from the war is obviously something that we can relate too in today’s time. We have soldier’s arriving home from Iraq regularly, and with Obama in office, I’m sure we’ll start to see more and more making there way back to American soil. There was something intensely fascinating about the way Krebs approached women, now that he was back home. He obviously enjoyed there company, and even wishes he had a girl of his own, but feels unmotivated towards pursuing any of them. Something deeply disturbing about the war seems to have affected his psyche, and hurt him so intensely, that his quest for a partner no longer exists.

Hemingway’s use of setting has always been fascinating, and without an overbearing amount of description, we understand the town that Krebs has grown up in. “Nothing was changed in the town except that the young girls had grown up. But they lived in such a complicated world of already defined alliances and shifting feuds that Krebs did not feel the energy or the courage to break into it.” (10) Understanding that Krebs town has gone unchanged since he left for the war, is an interesting thing to point out. His town, much like the one we live in, has not undergone significant change in many years. We can look at pictures of downtown Truckee, and still see those same spots and places that our former residents had experienced even decades before. Even though Krebs had been fighting in the war for a few years, things around his town remained the same. “The car always stood outside the First National Bank building where his father had an office on the second floor. Now, after the war, it was still the same car” (9) I find the idea alluring, that even with all the things Krebs had experienced, and all the destruction, heartbreak and death his town remains, for the most part, untouched. I believe that Hemingway understood the realities of war, and unlike many of the people who had never experienced it empirically, he was able to put into words the feelings many soldiers had coming home after the war. Be it World War I or Vietnam, the saying “out of sight, out of mind” shoots to anamnesis. “His town had heard too many atrocity stories to be thrilled by actualities.” (4)

As many, if not all of us, understand the damage war can place on the human psyche, why aren’t we more sympathetic towards our veterans? Do you think instituting some sort of post-war therapy could help them settle back into home life easier? And if so, why doesn’t the government pay for these costs? It seems it could be beneficial to many of our soldier’s returning home from Iraq/Afghanistan/Etc.

References:
Hemingway, Ernest, “Soldier’s Home” The Bedford Introduction to Literature, 8th Edition, Editor Michael Meyer, Boston, Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2008. Pg 185-190

5 comments:

  1. I think it a very unfortunate thing that as a whole we are not more welcoming to our returning vetrens. I agree with you when you say there are things that could be very beneficial to impliment for our returning soldiers. I have heard that there are some programs in place but that there is not enough help readily available. I think that it is owed to these individuals that we give them every opportunity to become reaquanted with everyday life especially after the sacrifices they make and the danger they place themselves in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that we, as a country, need to be helping out our returning soldiers more. But I do think that part of our problem is that we are advertising to such a young group of people that all of the younger people entering the army, don't completely know what they're getting into. It's been proven that even though we may be legal adults at the age of 18, our brains are still not fully developed. And the fact that the military still accepts people of that age is somewhat depressing. But that is the reason why I think we should definitely have some sort of rehabilitation program. If we are going to send people out to defend our country, we should help them through the psychological problems after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point you bring up about his hometown not changing is a good one. I think the author is using contrast here. Krebs has changed. The town has not. This helps explain the isolation he feels.

    My limited understanding is that there is some counseling offered to veterans. I hear it isn't enough and it is difficult for veterans to get the help they need. Yes, I think as much as possible should be done for these men and women when they return home! It should be a high priority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that we need to have respect the returning veterans and those that have laid down their lives to protect ours. Yes war is not always the right choice but then again sometimes it is not a choice but rather a necessity, where war that is inevitable. We as a society seem to think of ourselves as immune to violence and threats against our lives. In many countries that is a harsh reality of everyday life. I think that is why this story stood out to me and touched a nerve. It was Hemingway’s use of the unchanged setting before and after the war that causes the reader to feel sorry for the returned solder. It connects to the average person especially to ones that know about a small community and the significance of being accepted and understood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that more should be done for the returning veterans especially the disabled.

    ReplyDelete