Friday, January 23, 2009

SSRJ #1: The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin

Of the two short stories we read this week, I found Chopin’s The Story of an Hour to be the most personally interesting and emotionally poignant. My personal interpretation of her work lies somewhere between sympathy and disdain for Mrs. Mallard, whose husband passed away. But I also feel that it’s culturally relevant. Not just here in the United States, which I’m sure it certainly is, but in other countries where the woman is almost expected to be her husbands servant. Whether it be a stay at home mom, or a woman in an abusive relationship with her mate, be it boyfriend or spouse. Women are indoctrinated, or even brainwashed, into the belief that the female’s place is where ever here husband feels it should be.

When asked what this story means, it sees pretty straight forward until you start to dig around in the material, and it wasn’t until the fourth or fifth time you’ve read it that you start to pick up on the little things. Chopin’s use of imagery, and more specifically, her visual and tactile descriptions in her story, become even more emotionally transparent in paragraph 5. Rain, when used symbolically, can represent the cleansing of human sin, or in this case, Mrs. Mallard’s husband “The delicious breath of rain was in the air.” (5) And “In the street below a peddler was crying his wares,” (5) is not necessarily representative of Mrs. Mallard’s husband, but the in theory could be her sorrow disappearing. While “notes of distant song which someone was singing” (5) and the “countless sparrows” (5) who were “twittering in the eaves” (5) could be happiness on her horizon. I believe in the year it was written, this emotionally charged piece of literature was probably one of the very few feminist stories to be published or even written. The way our society conditions women to behave and act a certain way is something, while we’ve recently tried hard to put behind us, is still very much a part of today’s society.

What is your opinion on marriage? Is it necessary to be married, or do we think this way because we’ve traditionally been raised to believe that it’s what “people” do?

References:
Chopin, Kate, “The Story of an Hour,” The Bedford Introduction to Literature, 8th Edition, Editor Michael Meyer, Boston, Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2008. Pg 39-43.

7 comments:

  1. You did a great job of identifying exerpts from the story of the authors use of imagery. I also enjoyed your interpretation of the imagery. I think that the main pull of marriage is probably,as you said,that we have been raised to see this as what "normal" people do. There are also,in today's society, benefits outside of the emotional union that we enjoy when we marry such as tax breaks and eligiblity for insurane coverage under a spouses insurance plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your views regarding the role society places on women in marraige. You are correct that the submissive role of the woman is ingrained in us. My husband and I have been together for 25 years and have been legally married for twelve years. We have a son who is 23 years old. I wanted to get married when I found out I was pregnate but my husband thought I was "too young". How funny is that since I was pregnate? We had been together for two years and I felt "committed" to him from almost the first time I saw him. "love at first sight" As cliche as it sounds it is has been no "bed of roses". I do believe that for children it is better to have both parents living together. Of course there are exceptions but I think that your "internal reality" is what matters most and because it is easier to get a divorce than it used to be, sometimes couples use it as a way of avoiding dealing with what the issues really are. I think often in relationships the conflict is less about the other person and more about our own expectations than we realize. Have I learned to let go of my expectations and not be hurt? No, but hey....we've come a long way and I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I loved the way that you interpreted the imagery. I had not even considered the possibility that the rain was symbolic of "cleansing", but the more I think of that, the more I agree with your interpretation. Also, while I think that women are technically stereotyped in today's society, I think marriage can be a great thing, something that two people can share beautifully if it is the in the right context. I don't think that marriage should be arranged or done merely for convenience, or even in haste. I think that marriage is a big step and that the two people entering into such a commitment should be very in love and, in the very least, have "a plan".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comments.

    I'm remaining neutral on the subject of marriage. I think both your comments are correct it's necessary to be married, and we think that way because we’ve traditionally been raised to believe that it’s what “people” do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, that is a good question. An opinion of marriage. Well, I can tell you it's hard. It's not as easy as it may look from the outside that's for sure. It is a daily... DAILY, adventure. There are your good days and bad days of course with any relationship, and the longer you have been together then it transends into your good years and bad years...

    Marriage though I believe is an indescribable energy that only you and your spouse share. It is a connection that is intimate, powerful, binding, and hopefully lasts a lifetime.

    Of course it is not necessary to be married. It's not necessary to do anything. You can walk the road of life all alone and not commit to one single thing. You can walk with friends, girlfriends/boyfriends and not ever commit. But what marriage does is, it serves a higher purpose, it signifies a stronger commitment.

    Those who fail in their marriage, not only failed their spouse but themselves as well.

    I knew I wanted to marry my husband when I was 16 years old. Is that strange, probably... Would I do it again. Absolutely. It hasn't been easy. We have our normal spats and disagreements. We've had our good years and bad years, and I know in the future it will still be hard, but I can not imagine my life without him; he's my family, my love, the father of my children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe it is instinctual for most to find a mate or someone to spend you life with. I always envisioned being married and having children. Certainly not all people feel this instinct or desire. Some people definately lie to themselves or allow what they have always known to be their guide rather than finding themselves and what makes them happy and that can lead to the Mrs. Mallard's of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I've always believed humans to not be monogamous by nature. So to me, I guess marriage is saying to your spouse that no matter the temptation, I will be yours and only yours. Whether we hold true to that promise is another story, but I believe that marriage is can be a good thing, depending on who you ask and who you marry.

    ReplyDelete